Friday, February 1, 2008

Interesting devotion......

It's amazing how timely some of the devotions I read out of Joni Eareckson Tada's book "Pearls of Great Price" are. Yesterday, after all of my complaining about being so overwhelmed, I read the devotion for January 31st, titled "Overwhelmed". I immediately thought, "Hey, that's my name!" So anyway, she was talking about 1 Corinthians 10:13. It's funny, because I have ALWAYS thought that that verse said that God will not give you more than you can bear. However, I have SO often misquoted that verse. It actually says, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful, He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." The main paragraph that hit me was," First Corinthians 10:13 is certainly a promise - but it isn't talking about trials. It's talking about temptation. The promise is that God will always, always give you the power to say no to sin. But when it comes to heartaches, physical problems, dissapointments-things out of your control, difficult circumstances suddenly thrust upon you- you may very well be overwhenlmed beyond what you can bear. There is a kind of suffering that rips your world apart and leaves you bewildered and wounded. There are trials that overwhelm. " Then in the following paragraph, she does give a sense of comfort, saying, " It's when we are at the end of our strenght...that's when we fall helplessly into the everlasting arms of God. That's when God floods our hearts with sustaining grace." And so that's made me a bit more cheerful. And today, I realized that this complaining really isn't good. Sure, I'm stressed, but why should I carry the things the Lord has given me as burdens rather than as privileges? This post is long again,LOL. Later,
sweetggirl

2 comments:

Sola Gratia said...

Wow, that is so cool! You know, I think I've misquoted that verse too, LOL. I do love that verse, though.

pianochick_92 said...

Yeah, I love the verse too...and it's alot more comforting knowing what it really means...to me anyway...:p