Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Keep Smiling

So lately, I've had a lot going on in my life. I've been extremely stressed because of family things going on, the stress of being here at Westminster, the stress of not knowing for sure whether or not I should stay here, the stress of having a teacher who doesn't seem totally "for" me, and the stress of trying to prepare for two competitions on my own (which means memorizing two pretty major pieces in like 3 days, and trying to have them perfected in less than 3 weeks). If that doesn't spell stressed out, I don't know what does. But I've been somewhat convicted on the way I've been carrying myself. The conviction sorta stemmed from a situation during lunch on Monday. I prayed before lunch, and one of the girls at the table said,"Are you okay? Are you crying?" I was like, "Yeah, I'm fine, just praying." Then one of my friends (who is always sarcastic, but I've had a few chances to witness to him, and he's been surprisingly receptive) said, "Well if you pray, shouldn't you be smiling? Like, you don't smile anymore. You used to smile all the time. So does praying make you sad?" Even though he was being sarcastic, I was convicted because I realized, the world is watching me. The world is watching my response to trials to see if the God I talk about really exists; to see if He really brings joy, to see if maybe there is some security in having a Savior, to see if He really exists or if Christians are just religious fanatics who believe in nonsensical invisible things. And this morning, I read a devotional that had the verse 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 as the basis for the devotional. It reads, "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me,'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" For some reason, I don't remember ever seeing that verse before. But that is my comfort; that His grace is sufficient for me. And thus, I don't need to stress. Because if I fear anything or if I'm stressed about things, I'm ultimately being a bad testimony. And on Sunday, I was also moved during church service. We sang "How Firm a Foundation" For some reason, the words and the verses totally popped out at me. It was like, they were sent to me from the Lord; a small reminder that He truly still cares for me, and He hasn't forgotten about me, but that instead, He's using these trials to grow me in Him. And after we finished singing, a baby yelled out, "YAY!" Of course, the congregation chuckled. I did too. But I wanted to cry. Because I felt like it was the voice of God coming out of a baby (I do realize that God doesn't speak through people anymore, so no, I'm not a crazed charismatic or anything; it just FELT like that), saying that He was glad that I was finding joy in Him. Anyway, I guess I really didn't have a point to this post other than to encourage you to keep smiling in the midst of your trials (and I know how hard it is to do), whatever they may be. Because the world really is watching. The world is curious about your faith, and what sets it apart from other faiths/religions. And if you're not happy and content and finding joy in the Lord, why should they have any reason to believe that they will if they come to know Him? "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Later,
Rachel

No comments: