Saturday, October 18, 2008

Still somewhat confused

Wow, I'm still confused about college decisions. So I thought I was sure where I wanted to go, as I sounded in my last post. Yet, after a college fair on Monday and talking to my teacher, I x-ed out all of the colleges. Oberlin is extremely liberal, and they just hired on this creepy Anrew Lloyd Weber creepo-alike composer. Plus, they're in the middle of a cornfield, and that means I wouldn't have too many performance opportunities. Peabody said that it's really difficult to get Leon Fleisher as a teacher bc he doesn't like teaching freshman because he's constantly gone, and you don't get lessons every week with him, and when you do get lessons, you get group lessons. And the only reason I wanted to go there was to get him as a teacher. So I x-ed that. Then my teacher told me she knew someone's son who went to Juilliard who dropped out after his first year to go work at McDonald's because they pushed him so hard that he basically learned to hate cello. So I x-ed that because I get discouraged really easily by people, and that wouldn't be a very good environment for me. I x-ed out the Cleveland Institute because their faculty didn't look so great. So now I've prayed about everything and talked to my parents once again about everythin (I really don't know how they have patience with me constantly going back and forth) and I think I'm going to apply to the Manhattan School of Music, Mannes School of Music, Colburn School of Music, and Westminster Choir college. The positive about Mannes, the Manhattan School, and Colburn is that they are all solely music schools, no dance, theatre, etc. The positive about Westminster is that it apparently has a good reputation, and the acceptance rate is 75%. However, as of right now, my first choice is the Manhattan school, because they seem to have alot of fun, yet wholesome activities to do. Like, the first day you get there, they take you on a cruise across the Manhattan Island, they have a few formals, and they are in NYC, which means they offer a bajillion of performance opportuinities (although Mannes is in NYC too, and Westminster choir college isn't too far from NYC either...it's in Princeton, NJ). Then I'd probably say that Colburn is my second choice, or maybe even tied with Manhattan. If you get in, the tuition, room and board are all free. It's in the middle of LA/Hollywood, which means there are lots of performance opportunities, not to mention a bajillion things to do and places to go and all. Then Mannes probably comes in third. And I'm not even sure if I'll apply there because I only have until November 15 to submit the prescreening cd. Then Westminster comes in fourth, because their acceptance rate is the lowest, but it looks like a great school because you have a huge emphasis in developing your voice as well as whatever instrument you play. So I'm sorta thankful for the new bunch of schools because I think it's better than me going for the top right away. And I have Westminster that I can ALMOST bank on, Manhattan and Mannes that I think I could PROBABLY get into, and Colburn which is a reach school (they have like a 10% acceptance rate....last year they only accepted four pianists :/). Plus, they're all in huge cities, or near huge cities. And that's something I also wanted. So all though the process was a bit confusing, I'm very thankful that the Lord has led me to look at these other colleges. Later,
Rachel

15 comments:

Rikki Fleisher said...

My dear child,
I have read a few of your musings about your future and about who you are and I could not resist writing to you. You are not going to be happy in New York City--trust me. Why don't you try a midwestern school like Indiana University which has a fine music school, and where your conservative world view won't be in acute culture clash, as would be the case in New York. A Grandma

pianochick_92 said...

Dear rikki,
Thank you so much for your suggestion! I really appreciate any ideas on music schools because as of right now, I am so confused about where I should go. However, I looked on the Indiana University-Jacobs School of Music site, and unfortunately,I don't see a bachelor of music degree as an option. Do you know if they offer a bachelor of music degree? Thanks a ton!

lizz said...

sounds really confusing. I hope you can sort everything out.

Anonymous said...

Wow, some of those schools sound really tough! i'm sure you'll find the right one though.(the story about the guy giving up cello to work at Mcdonalds really made me cringe!)

pianochick_92 said...

lol, sry, I wasn't saying it to be offensive, but if he hated it THAT much,lol...I wonder if it's a safe place to go to college,lol....:/

Anonymous said...

i know,its okay i wasn't like, offended or anything,lol!but yeah that college sounds scary!

Anonymous said...

stable renowned addressees paved narrated urinals scaled divideim entrance adjustable emergency
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

[url=http://seghan.ru/go.php?sid=35][img]http://s001.radikal.ru/i194/1001/f2/3b8e742581a0.jpg[/img][/url]












[url=http://ubpscsn.pro.ac/sitemap.html]buy cigarette holder [/url]
buy cigarettes direct from supplier manufacturer buy european cigarettes online buy kool cigarettes
[url=http://botziho.485.at/sitemap.html]where to buy cigarettes in perth [/url]
where can i buy nicortte cigarettes sites to buy cigarettes buy cheapest cigarettes
[url=http://qzexaua.flackert.de/sitemap.html]buy cigarette boats [/url]
order cigarettes from delaware buying kentucky best cigarettes buy cigarettes in sudbury ontario canada
[url=http://powjxun.wieder-mal.de/sitemap.html]splash cigarettes buy online [/url]
buy mexican cigarettes mail order cigarettes seneca buy cheapest cigarettes online
[url=http://qzexaua.flackert.de/sitemap.html]buy cigarettes from overseas [/url]
buy cigarettes overnight delivery buying cigarettes internet how to order cigarettes online
[url=http://cauvzah.weinend.de/sitemap.html]buying wholesale cigarettes [/url]
buy cigarettes california buy electric cigarette rolling machine where to buy cigarettes oldsmar florida
[url=http://wcsoius.biz.co.nl/]age to buy cigaretts in [/url]
buying cigarette receptacles calgary alberta buying cigarette online where to buy herbal cigarette
[url=http://vjzvmeu.il.gp/]cigarettes online buying wisconsin monthly payments [/url]
buy cigarettes white filter marlboro buy pall mall cigarettes online best site to buy cigarettes
[url=http://tyouhca.xn--geglckt-q2a.de/sitemap.html]order mexican cigarettes [/url]
buying cigarettes online in canada buy cigarettes from canada buy ecstasy cigarettes
[url=http://botziho.485.at/]age buy cigarettes [/url]
buy cigarettes online paypal buy cigarettes in missouri buy cigarettes from indian reservations

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter rtl de[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]twister wetter[b][/url]

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

really?

Anonymous said...

Hi there ωoulԁ уou minԁ letting me knοw
which webhost you're utilizing? I'vе loаded yοur blog in 3
ԁіffeгеnt browsers anԁ
I must ѕay this blog loads a lot quiсker then
moѕt. Can you suggest a good inteгnеt hoѕting prоvider аt a fair рrice?
Thanκs a lot, I appreciate it!

mу blog post: Check Out www.viewdocsonline.com

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy оn the еyes ωhich makеѕ
it much morе plеasant fоr me to come herе
and visit more often. Did you hirе out a designer to cгeate your theme?
Excеptional wоrk!

Feel free to viѕit my homepage :: please click the following post

Anonymous said...

I've been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It's lovеly priсe ѕufficiеnt fοr mе.
Personally, іf all wеbѕitе oωners and bloggers mаde
exсellеnt content materіal as you prоbably did,
the internet will probably be a lot more useful than ever before.



Stoρ by mу web blog http://genwiki.nl

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very vаlіd pοints!
I appreciate you wrіting this article and thе rеst of the site is аlso really
good.

Also νisit mу web page: Adult Acne