Saturday, October 16, 2010

How to Respond

Sorry I haven't written on here for a while....Stressminster Choir College has taken over my life. I'm taking 17 credits, still have to practice, working towards trying to make it into Aspen Music School this upcoming summer, have a secretarial job at Westminster Conservatory, have joined a Bible Study and a sophomore women's Fellowship group at Princeton University. And to throw a wrench in all of that, this past week, I've had a bout of stomach sickness (which I've concluded to be food poisoning since the doctor's couldn't figure it out, I had stomach pain that felt like death taking its vengeful anger out on me and had to have an ambulance take me to the ER because of it, and I ate cod from the cafeteria less than about 10 hours before). Not all that easy for a 17 year old (who is over 20 hours from home - I've been feeling a bit homesick lately...but more on that later) to handle.

Anyway, getting involved in the fellowship group and Bible study have been such an encouragement to me. And a conviction to me. I guess overall, in the studies we've had there, they all sum up to this - God is everything I need, and He is the ONLY person/thing I should look to for satisfaction in this life (and in the next). Like sure, the Bible studies are going MUCH deeper than that. But that's what I've been feeling the most convicted on lately. And it makes me wonder, why do I do half the things I do? Or even 99% of the things that I do? If I'm totally honest with myself, as much as I might pray that it's to God's glory, it's to His glory and honor but it's also an attempt to get others to say "wow, she's a cool girl" or "hey, she's so smart" or "what a cutie" or "I don't know how she handles it all" or something of such. And that's SO WRONG. It's like I'm saying to God, "Sorry, You aren't enough for me. I appreciate all of the blessings You lavish on me, and I wanna make You happy, but I want to make the rest of the world happy too and I want to impress everyone as well. Only because I'm not satisfied that You are content with who I am in You." And it's wrong. It's not like I shouldn't work towards anything in life; I believe that's just as wrong, because God has planted us on earth for a reason, and that isn't to swarm in our "Christian" circles and live in our "Christian" communities (Christian in parentheses, because a lot of the time, the "Christian" circles and communities are simply "religious" circles and communities where everyone is super involved to fit in the popular status quo). And it isn't to sit at home and bum around with our kids (no slight at stay-at-home moms; a true stay at home mom takes care of her family, and also takes time to get out in the community to share her God-given talents - I believe being a stay at home mom is God's highest call for a woman).

And this all struck me a few weeks ago when I was laying in bed in one of my friends' rooms. We were trying to predict each other's futures based on our personalities. She presumed I would get married before her, but after two of my other girl friends, because I know exactly what I'm looking for in a guy, and my expectations are reasonable, but she knows I won't compromise on the type of guy I'm willing to marry (she thinks her expectations for a husband are too lofty, and no guy will ever meet them...I disagree). She said, "I think you'll hit a crossroad where you'll have a GREAT performance career handed to you, and you'll also have this great guy who wants to marry you, so you'll have to choose between career and family. And I bet you're going to choose family, and you'll end up heading more in the direction of your Arts Administration minor." And it got me thinking, would I really? And what am I making more important in my life right now? My relationships with friends and family and ultimately God, or my future career? And I realized, she's right. She's right because, I wouldn't want to grow old like SO many amazing musicians, look back on my life, and say, "Wow. I'm a millionaire. I'm famous. People love my music. But I don't have a family who loves me. I've made my career my life, and all people will remember me for is my music. Not my impact on their lives." And as I've gotten more and more homesick this year, I've realized, I never want to be REALLY close to my parents (like, not within a 10 minute radius), but I want to be close enough to my family to be able to visit whenever I wish. And I'm starting to realize, granted, I want a great performance career. But I sometimes question whether or not it can coincide with family. Or with God.

Later,
Rachel

No comments: