Monday, August 3, 2009

Growing up and away

So as of today, I only have 30 days left at home...29 if I don't include today. And until this point, I've been insanely excited. And I still am very much so. But on Saturday, while watching Marley and Me, I had a total bawling fit. I guess it was just like, that movie really hit me hard. It made me realize that things at home will never be the same. After I leave home, when I come back at breaks, sure I'll still be my parents' kid. But I've seen how my parents treat my brothers when they come home. It's like, they treat them like their kids, but also like guests. Which will be weird. And I know that my perspective on life will change. My thought processes will grow broader, my responsibilities will become greater, and everything will change. The only thing that'll remain the same is my relationship with the Lord. And I guess in all of life, that's the only thing that really remains stable. I read a book before that said that growing up is like having a house, and walking into it one day and having all of the furniture rearranged: walking into each room and having the furniture from one room placed into another, or having no curtains where there were some. And I know that will happen. In 30 days. Both literally and figuratively. For the next four years, college will be home. My dorm room will be home. And my current home will only be a vacationing retreat. And even though I may only be 16, I'm entering the world of adulthood. In 30 days. And it seems so fast. Like, where did this summer go? Where did highschool go? Where did my life so far go? And as much as I've looked forward to "independence", part of me is also a little bit nervous. Yet I have to make clear that I DO want to go to college. It wasn't my parents' decision. It was TOTALLY mine. I know that if I said I wanted to stay home another year, my parents would be so insanely happy. In fact, my dad has become teary a couple of times while talking about college. Whenever I mention going away in just a couple more weeks, my dad will leave the room with teary eyes and say he doesn't want to talk about it. Yet, anyway. And he's told me that if for any reason I feel uncomfortable or not ready for college once I get to Westminster, I'm welcome to come back home. Even if it's mid-semester and I can't get a refund on my tuition. He says that if I want to come back home, that I really shouldn't hesitate to tell them; that I shouldn't think that anyone will think I'm a failure. And I really appreciate that. Yet, I think I'm ready for college. In fact, I don't just think I am. I know I am. I may be nervous. I might even be a little scared.And I know that I'm a weak person physically and emotionally. But I know that if I'm grounded in the Lord like the tree by the water mentioned in Psalm 1, I will be safe and secure in Him wherever I go in life. I know that the Lord will be my strength, even in my weaknesses. Whether secular environment or Christian environment. Biblically, there is nothing that can separate me from the love of Christ. Absolutely nothing can take away my security in Him. So it is in that truth that I have to rest. Even though I'm a bit sad that I only have 30 days. And I know if I stayed home another year, I'd become wrestless. I've thought everything through, and I don't believe that where I now call home is any place for me. It hasn't really felt like home since the moment my fam moved here. I don't think it's by mishap that I got rejected from other conservatories and accepted at Westminster. I think the Lord knew where I needed to be, and to make the decision process easier for me, He had me rejected from every single place I applied except Westminster. And I am very excited and insanely thankful. Even though I'm growing up and flying away from this little town. Later,
Rachel

2 comments:

Susan said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I move out Thursday night, and I'm pretty depressed. I still can't imagine living on campus, with a bunch of strangers for company, slowly drifting farther apart from my high school friends, who I love and miss SO much. And Ive never gone more than a week without seeing other members of my family, so this is gonna be tough. srry that i'm kind of rambling. your post was encouraging to me though. reminded me that the Lord will always be right with me, even in total loneliness, and even if life never goes back to the way it was in the good old days. Thanks!

pianochick_92 said...

Thanks Susie. :) I'm glad someone can relate. :)